Próby z Dostojewskim (Attempts with Dostoyevsky)
Próby z Dostojewskim is a selection of lectures given by philosopher Cezary Wodziński at the Centre for Culture in Lublin in the years 2009–14. The book also presents a series of conversations with the philosopher and his friends.
Opening of the book with a substantial quote from The Brothers Karamazov by F. Dostoyevsky translated by Cezary Wodziński together with the intention of the publisher to include long, complete fragments of the novel, gave us the idea of “a book within a book”. This idea materialized in the form of a smaller size insert, sewn into the appropriate block, printed on the so-called Bible paper (Offenbach Bible). The main block was printed on the Arctic Volume Ivory coated paper, which counterbalances the paper of the insert at the same time matching its shade of white. The book is sewn (black thread), has an open spine printed in black in the so-called Swiss binding. The inside of the cover is debossed to create space for the insert with Rebellion. This way “Dostoyevsky” physically presses into the cover and becomes visible on its front illustrating the trials from the title.
- Type of project book
- Scope of works book cover, book layout, typesetting (Idalia Smyczyńska, Robert Zając)
- Format 161×235 mm, 160 pages
- Paper / Binding Arctic Volume Ivory 115 g/m², Offenbach Bible 60 g/m², paperback
- Fonts Gill Sans Nova, Joanna Pro
- Date 2017
- Client Centre for Culture in Lublin
- Awards “Edycja” Perfect Book Design 2017 (Award); The Most Beautiful Books of the Year – Polish Publishing Houses Association 2017 (Nomination)